Entry deadline added!
Welcome to Northwood Kennels, located in the picturesque White Mountains of New Hampshire. It is a crisp, winter morning, and the the First Annual Shed Hunt is about to begin!Entry's accepted:
Now - February 28, 2013What is a Shed Hunt?
A Shed Hunt happens around January - February each year, about the time the Whitetail bucks in the region start losing their antlers naturally. It is after the fall breeding season, so the male deer no longer need their antlers to impress does, and fight for breeding rights and territory. That is where the dogs come in. The dogs entering the Shed Hunt will hunt for the largest sheds in the valley, and will be able to win "cash prizes" (dA points) for the highest scoring shed (largest shed). Smaller prizes are awarded for who found the most unique shed, and who found the most matching pairs. All dogs entering however, will have a chance to automatically be entered in all the different classes. You may also show your dogs with moose antlers, but they will not be judged in this competition. Rules:
- each dog MUST have a training picture already completed in order to enter the competition (only one is required for the whole show, you do NOT need to do one for each event). Show your dog in a hunting style vest lh3.googleusercontent.com/publ…
or with a shed they have found. The images do not need a background, or to be shaded. They must be for this event only.
- be safe rather than sorry. There may still be a few after season hunters in the woods, so please show your dogs in a bright orange hunting vest, like the one pictured above.
- all dogs may enter this competition, regardless of size. Any dogs from Dachshunds to Irish Wolf Hounds may enter, as long as they have a good nose!
- Respect other competitors, do not infringe on others working spaces
- Other items that may be attached to the dogs, but do not have to be: tracking collars, boots, bright orange collars, cow bell
- for Shed Hunt entries DO NOT picture your dog with a shed, this keeps the, "well the shed I drew is obviously bigger, so I have to win" out of this competition
- keep it realistic, no fantasy sparkle dogs will be allowed. Classes:
Largest Shed Found The Largest Shed Found competition will be a random number generator judged event. Please draw your dog without its found sheds. This stops the "my shed is obviously bigger than so-n-so's, I mean, just look at the picture!". Any extra images will not be counted for this part of the event. Your dog MUST be in a hunting orange vest like pictured above)
Most Unique Shed Found The Most Unique Shed Found competitions will be an art/extra point judged event. Please draw your dog with its found shed. Please only include one shed in your picture, and please make sure it is completely visible. Please keep the size and number of tines realistic for the area, and the type of deer. I know the difference between a moose shed and a whitetail shed. Whitetail sheds will be the only ones judged in this competition. If you provide an image with your dog and a moose antler, then it will not be accepted. Your dog MUST be in a hunting orange vest (like pictured above)
Highest Number of Sheds The Highest Number of Sheds competitions will also be an art/extra point judged event. Please draw your dog with its found sheds. Please include multiple sheds in the image. They must all be visible, do not draw your dogs in front of the pile of sheds, draw them next to it. Again, make sure the sizes are realistic for whitetail deer. Your dog MUST be in a hunting orange vest (like pictured above) How They Will Be Judged:
Largest Shed Found Random Number Generator
Most Unique Shed Found - effort put into picture
- Most Unique shed (do your homework, and look at some natural deer antlers (NOT ranch raised deer) drawn (will not be only factor though)
Highest Number of Sheds - effort put into picture
- Highest Number of Sheds found (NOTE the number your dog found to me, this will not be the only factor though)Ways to Earn Extra Points:
For the Most Unique and Highest Number of Sheds Found
- Extra images (arrival images, shed hunting images, etc) (adds 10 extra points)
- Including any Northwood dog in your image (they will be out in the woods too, they will be hunting for sheds, but not in the competition) (adds 10 extra points)
- Including handlers in image (adds 5 extra points) Prizes:
Largest Shed Found: 20 pts & headshot of winning dog w/ ribbon for 1st, 15 pts & shaded no background headshot of dog w/ ribbon for 2nd, 10 pts & non shaded no background headshot w/ ribbon for 3rd
Most Unique Sheds: 20 pts & headshot of winning dog w/ ribbon for 1st, 15 pts & shaded no background headshot of dog w/ ribbon for 2nd, 10 pts & non shaded no background headshot w/ ribbon for 3rd
Highest Number of Sheds: 20 pts & headshot of winning dog w/ ribbon for 1st, 15 pts & shaded no background headshot of dog w/ ribbon for 2nd, 10 pts & non shaded no background headshot w/ ribbon for 3rd